Rav Arnold Jacob Wolf
YES this is SO important to me
because a lot of people dont seem to get this:
- golems are from jewish folklore. dont treat them like a generic fantasy creature, thats appropriative
- kabbalah is a specifically jewish religious tradition. dont practice it if youre not jewish and dont use kabbalah symbolism as generic occult stuff, thats appropriative
- for the record if it has hebrew on it and it doesnt have anything to do with judaism its probably appropriative
- dont wear a magen david if youre not jewish, its used as a symbol for judaism so wearing it if youre a gentile is appropriative
- while im at it heres a rundown of some terms you should know
- goy: hebrew and yiddish for non-jewish person, it literally translates as “nation.” the plural form is goyim. goy is not a slur.
- gentile: english for non-jewish person
- anti-semitism: you probably know what this means but i just want to point out that the word anti-semitism was NOT coined by jews but by a german anti-semite who wanted a more scientific-sounding alternative to “judenhass,” which literally translates to “jew-hatred” so please shut up about how arabs are also semites. we know.
- if you’re not jewish you should also avoid using the word “jew” since many jewish people are uncomfortable with it (though i personally am fine with it). use “jewish person” instead if youre a gentile
please reblog this if you’re not jewish, i almost never see gentiles acknowledging cultural appropriation of judaism and anti-semitism on tumblr, even among people who otherwise pay close attention to such issues
People REALLY need to remember the second one on this list.
Goyim amongst my followers: READ AND BE EDUCATED.
arguments about Jews’ supposed whiteness relies on so many shaky grounds.
- the appearances, mannerisms, experiences, family histories, locations, and social statuses of a minority of Jews (and subsequent pushing of those particular experiences as universal).
- the claims that all Jews wield significant wealth, social capital, and power to the point where every one of them can be significantly assimilated into whiteness.
- the idea that Jewishness is a designator of religion rather than ethnicity, and therefore the forced removal of our self-identifications and existence as an ethnoreligious group.
i could go on and on, but this argument is tired and boring and has been dissected more times than i can count. i am legitimately so fucking tired of seeing my Ashkenazi friends get told that they’re secretly Khazars, that they’re ‘too light’ to be non-white despite other factors (being openly Jewish in anti-Semitic areas, having a plethora of non-white experiences, living in a place where the supposed whiteness of white-passing Jews is far less than people think it is, a visibly Jewish/non-white last name, etc.) excluding them from whiteness. i am tired of this being used to exclude them from any movement.
for the record: telling them that they are “white” does not mean that white people are going to give them liberation movements. ‘white Jews’ may benefit from conditional whiteness, but only if they assimilate, shut up, and generally do not fight for the rights of fellow Jews. in fact, when they try to join liberation movements for Jews, that is one of the situations in which their whiteness is taken away. any disruption in the comfort of white people will result in Jews having their whiteness taken away; you can ask them.
y’all bore me and disgust me
Jews are not an angelic people where the all the true ones have taken our experiences in being oppressed and murdered and expelled and persecuted and used it hone perfect politics and fights for justice. The Jews who ethnically cleanse villages and send airstrikes at civilian populations are true Jews as well because Jews are not just adherents of a religion but members of an ethnic group for whom Jews are a people.
That means we have Jews who are murder Palestinians and Jews who stand up for them. Jews who shut up and Jews who speak up. Jews who are beaten up in pogroms in France and Jews who lynch Palestinians in Jerusalem.
All equally Jewish, so none of that “bad Jews” and “true Jews” nonsense. What this means is that when you blame Israel, the “bad Jews,” the “oppressive Jews” for anti-semitism that takes place worldwide against diaspora Jews, all you’re doing is saying that when Jews are “bad,” it’s their own fault when “good” Jews, the powerless Jews, get targeted. What you’re really doing is telling all Jews to behave because when some of the ones with power use it to oppress others, it’s no one’s fault but our own when we’re collectively punished for it.
Meanwhile, the actual anti-Semites who feed off a prejudice that predated Israel and will outlast it are completely let off the hook. Who cares if they’re calling for Jews to be gassed and targeting them in the streets - it’s not their fault! It’s Israel’s!
With this logic, you shouldn’t blame all the Islamophobes and racists out there who target Muslims and Sikhs and Arabs in the United States because they look at them and only see terrorists. It’s Saudi Arabia’s fault, not theirs now!
You see, there will always be Jews who don’t live ethically. Who abuse power and do wrong in the name of Jews everywhere. They will always exist because people like that exist among all peoples. So what you’re saying, when you blame Israel for anti-Semitism, is that no actual anti-Semites are at fault because there are bad Jews out there.
Judaism is NOT a smorgasbord buffet, it’s a fine dining ten-course dinner with Rules.
1. do not even hate on smorgasbord okay it is one of the most delicious ways to consume food
2. buffets have rules too, you can’t just walk into an old country buffet and start grabbing food off the line with no plate or utensils or something like that. jeez were you raised in a barn?
3. there’s this group of restaurants in my town, all owned by the same family, that all have their own ambiance. one is a fine-dining establishment with cloth napkins and (p)leather bound menus and waiters with the little cloths over their arms. another is a grab-and-go grill geared toward getting food out quickly during the lunch rush and staffed by college students in grimy t-shirts. yet another is a bar with rows and rows of alcoholic beverages and only appetizer-type food.
all of these restaurants are owned by the same family, serve the same general type of food, but they all cater to a different demographic. that is what the different branches of judaism are more like: a whole bunch of restaurants owned by the same family and all connected to each other by what kind of general cuisine they offer, but with different vibes and different details to fit different people’s needs and wants at different times.
go back to hebrew school, i think you missed the lesson on ahavat yisrael
The riot in Sarcelles was incited by posters posted up in the area urging “protesters” to bring hammers and other weapons so that they could “raid the Jewish district”
The result of this was a synagogue, Jewish stores, and a kosher grocery being attacked as rioters shouted “Slit the Jews’ throats!” and “Gas the Jews!” and “Kill the Jews!”
How do you say “pogrom” in French?